Dana J. Medlin, Ph.D., P.E., FASM
Dr. Dana J. Medlin has more than twenty-five years of experience in metallurgical, materials, and biomedical engineering consulting. He specializes in the design, performance and analysis of engineering materials and components used in a variety of engineering applications including medical device, automotive, heavy equipment and marine. His professional experience includes biomedical engineering, corrosion engineering, sheet steels, bearings, alloy steel development, heat treat processing, failure analysis, fire investigations, and teaching/lecturing on metallurgical and biomaterials engineering. He has conducted national and international forensic investigations, failure analysis, engineering design, process validations, and maintenance metallurgical engineering for many companies and firms.
Dr. Medlin was the NUCOR Professor of Metallurgy and Director of the Biomedical Engineering Graduate Program at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. He also lectures on biomedical and metallurgical engineering topics for corporations and universities. Dr. Medlin is a Fellow of ASM International (highest honor in materials science), as well as the author of numerous publications, books and patents.
Contact Dana Medlin, Ph.D.
West Coast: 250 North Nash Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 Phone: 310-322-2011
Midwest: 315 Heavenly Drive, Omaha, NE 68154 Cell: 402-661-4438 (Primary Contact) firstname.lastname@example.org
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Failure Analysis and Remedial Action – Metallurgical and Materials Science Engineering
- Experienced with Managing Multidiscipline Failure Investigations
- Fatigue and Fracture Analysis – Ferrous and Nonferrous Alloys
- Materials Characterization – Optical, SEM, TEM, XRD, etc.
- Applied Research and Development – Product and Process Development
- Medical Device – Orthopedic Failures, Hip Implants, Acetabular Cup, Knee Implants, Spinal Implants, Dental, Guidewires, Fixation Plates, Pedicle Screws, Cardiovascular Implants, Intramedullary Rods (IM Rods), Surgical Needle Failures, Surgical Instrument Failures, Braces, Wheelchair Failures, Explant Analysis, Retrieval Analysis, etc.
- Medical Device Failure Analysis – Nitinol, CoCrMO Alloys, Titanium Porous Coating
- FDA 510K Submission Experience
- Bearing and Gear Failure Analysis – Aerospace, Automotive, Marine, Heavy Equipment, Railroads, Mechanical Systems, etc.
- Heat Treatment Issues – Annealing, Stress Relief, Carburizing, Nitriding, Quenching, etc.
- Corrosion Engineering and Mitigation (Pipelines, Sprinklers, Storage Tanks, Medical Devices, etc.)
- Corrosion Testing – ASTM, NACE, ISO, etc. Crevice Corrosion, Galvanic Corrosion, Corrosion Fatigue
- Wear Mechanisms and Mitigation
- Firearm Investigations and Ammunition Failure Analysis
- Welding Engineering – TIG, MIG, Alloys, etc.
- Metallurgy – Carbon Steels, Alloy Steels, Titanium, Co/Cr Alloys, Cast Irons, Aluminum Alloys, etc.
- Metallurgical Failures – Carbon Steel Failure, Alloy Steel Failure, Annealing, Heat Treatment, Carburizing, Gear Failure, Bearing Failure
- Materials Selection and Design
- Mechanical Testing – Metal Fatigue, Torsion, Compression, Tensile, Stress Corrosion Cracking, etc.
- Fire Investigations – Metal Components
- Physical and Mechanical Metallurgy
- Product Development and Quality Control
- Process Validations/Manufacturing Validations and Analysis
- Intellectual Property and Patent Issues
- Experienced Lecturer – 22 University Undergraduate and Graduate Level Courses
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering (Metallurgy Option), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering (Metallurgy Option), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ph.D. Materials Science Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Registered Professional Engineer: Ohio, South Dakota, Nebraska