Deformulation & Formulation
EAG is the industry leader in the deformulation of products and materials. Also known as reverse engineering, deformulation is the separation, identification and quantitation of ingredients in a formulation. Our experienced chemists have performed deformulations on hundreds of products and have the skills and tools to successfully deformulate the most difficult materials.
Deformulation involves customized extractions and specialized instrumental techniques to identify and quantify the components of a complex mixture. The components may include active pharmaceutical ingredients, polymers, plasticizers, fillers, stabilizers, lubricants, antioxidants, flame retardants, etc. Although it is not always practical to develop a “cookbook recipe” from a deformulation, in most cases our analysis identifies both major and minor components.
EAG scientists have successfully deformulated a variety of products such as:
- Plastics (PP, PE, PMMA, Nylon, PU, flexible and rigid PVC, copolymer and blends, degradable PP and PE)
- Specialty products (multiple layer films, high temperature engineered products)
- Coatings, including paints, architectural coatings, finishes
- Adhesives (PSA, hot melt and water borne) and sealants (epoxy, PU, silicone)
- Rubber products (natural rubber, EPDM, TPE, Neoprene, SIS, SBS, NBR, EVA, PUR, silicone and more)
- Pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Consumer and industrial detergents and cleaners
- Textiles used in garments and upholstery applications
- Inks for laser printers, finger printing and packaging
- Composites (glass reinforced, carbon or graphite filled, Kevlar fiber reinforced and more)
- Home, health and beauty products including gels, lotions, creams and ointments
Our clients apply reverse engineering results for a variety of reasons, including competitive product characterization, identification of batch to batch variations, comparison of “good” vs. “bad” samples and intellectual property legal cases.
Formulation of Paints and Coatings
EAG also offers R&D support as a formulation lab to develop new paints and coatings. From idea generation to innovative formulation development, our scientists have the expertise to bring new paint and coating products to market. We will collaborate to determine the specific characteristics of your new coating and to ensure it meets your expectations.
We also work with raw material suppliers to create pilot batches, marketing samples and to benchmark new raw materials. With our extensive laboratory resources, we can test batch samples for performance and subsequent product optimization.
We test coatings for various physical properties critical to product performance and success, including adhesion, abrasion, durability, stain resistance, corrosion resistance, stability and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Along with our expertise in paint deformulation, EAG’s coatings chemists help companies develop innovative paint products.