EAG is very active in the energy storage field, particularly in regards to Li ion batteries and fuel cells. In both cases, EAG can provide detailed information on raw materials, such as composition, purity and crystallinity. Furthermore, EAG can provide infromation on battery and fuel cell materials after use, examining changes in phase, chemical state and content after cycling. EAG has facilities to prepare and analyze materials under inert dry atmospheres.
Lithium Ion Battery Analysis
Lithium ion batteries are used in a wide range of today's mobile devices due their lightweight and high charge density. In recent years, there have been significant technological advances, driven mainly to support future electrification of vehicles, which require high power and energy with exceptional safety standards. To achieve these goals, battery engineers need to have a good understanding of electrochemical processes that occur when the battery undergoes a charge/discharge cycle. In addition, the quality of the raw materials used for battery manufacture, needs to be carefully controlled to ensure consistent and predictable battery performance. Evans Analytical Groups (EAG) has been providing characterization services to support this fast growing industry.
- Compositional analysis (metal/lithium content) of electrode raw material
- Impurity survey analysis of electrode raw materials
- Phase identification of electrode raw materials
- Thermal stability analysis of electrode materials
- Evaluation of slurry mixing processes
- Elemental analysis of individual electrode particles
- Chemical analysis of electrolytes
- Real-time x-ray imaging of cells
- Elemental depth profiling of electrode films
- Elemental mapping of films and particles
- Electron microscopy of battery cell layer stack
- Identification of changes in chemical/oxidation state after cell cycling